Young Women Rock! Mentorship Program
The Young Women Rock! Mentorship Program is dedicated to strengthening the lives and communities of young women in urban neighborhoods through a curriculum based, group, and one-on-one mentorship program for high schoolers that includes weekly sessions and monthly cultural outings. YWR! empowers girls through mentorship, building their self-confidence and challenging them to discover and fulfill their potential.
Sneak Peak: YWR! featured on MSNBC
Weekly sessions take place on Thursdays at Seth Low Community Center with the sponsorship of New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) in the East New York/Brownsville neighborhoods of Brooklyn.
About the program
The philosophy behind the YWR! curriculum is to empower young women by having them think critically about themselves, their identity and their goals, while breaking down negative messages fed to them by society and the media. Young Women Rock! supports young women to develop their self-esteem and make informed decisions for themselves in the face of severe societal pressure, and illustrating that they have a network of support and resources available to them. YWR! sessions foster self-respect and love, leadership skills, creativity, team work, critical thinking, and collaboration.
- Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence Building
- Sexual Health and Decision-Making
- Broader Women’s Issues and Future Options
- Community Service and Global Citizenship
Why is Young Women Rock! important?
“We encourage their ambition and empower their confidence, but most of all, the mentees and mentors in our program are shown the power of sisterhood, community and self-love.” – The Women Worldwide Team
- A community of young female leaders in NYC who seek and value community action and involvement
- Young women with increased self-esteem and decision-making abilities
- Young women who envision themselves as leaders now and in the future
- Positive role models for young women, which encourage their ambition, self-confidence and growth, allowing them to trust and showing them that they are supported.
- Young women with more positive attitudes toward school, significantly improved academic performance, increased trust for adults and teachers, higher levels of self-confidence and a greater ability to express their feelings (Curtis & Hansen-Schwoebel, 1999; Karcher, 2005; Karcher, Davis, & Powell, 2002).
Why is Young Women Rock! unique?
By speaking to the next generation in their formative years about issues of self-worth, health, goals, and aspirations, the Young Women Rock! is able to have the highest impact. Our program takes place in a community center, which allows any girl aged 14 -18 in the community to join the program.
The Young Women Rock! Mentorship program has boldly taken on the crisis of our female youth head on and understands the need for positive self-images and a strong sense of awareness.
holistic & sustainable.
As our program includes young women from 9th – 12th grade, we are able to follow the girls through high school and onto college, at which point we encourage them to come back as mentors for the YWR! program in their neighborhood.