Young Women Rock! Mentorship Program
The Young Women Rock! Mentorship Program is a curriculum based, group, and one-on-one mentorship program dedicated to strengthening the lives and communities of young women in impoverished neighborhoods. The program is for girls ages 14 to 18 years old and includes weekly sessions and monthly cultural outings.
The program mission is to empower girls through mentorship, building their self-confidence and challenging them to discover and fulfill their potential.
Location & Time
Young Women Rock! is a year-long program that spans the length of the academic year from September through May. Weekly sessions take place on Thursdays from 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. at our Brooklyn and Bronx sites.
YWR! Brooklyn serves the Brownsville/East New York communities. The site is located off the 3 and L trains at Seth Low Community Center, 137 Belmont Avenue, Brooklyn, NY and sponsored by the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA).
YWR! Bronx serves the South Bronx community. The site is located off the 2 and 5 trains at St. Mary’s Park Community Center, 595 Trinity Avenue, Bronx, N. Y. 10455 and sponsored by the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA).
About the program
Each mentee is paired up with a mentor between the ages of 19 and 30 years old. The mentees benefit from the group dialogue weekly and also from a one-on-one relationship with her mentor. YWR! sessions foster self-respect and love, leadership skills, creativity, critical thinking and collaboration.
The philosophy behind the YWR! curriculum is to empower young women by having them think critically about themselves, their identity and their goals, while breaking down negative messages fed to them by society and the media. Young Women Rock! supports young women to develop their self-esteem and make informed decisions for themselves in the face of severe societal pressure; illustrating that they have a network of support and resources available to them.
- Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence Building
- Sexual Health and Decision-Making
- Broader Women’s Issues and Future Options
- Community Service and Global Citizenship
Why is Young Women Rock! important?
“We encourage their ambition and empower their confidence, but most of all, the mentees and mentors in our program are shown the power of sisterhood, community and self-love.” – The Women Worldwide Team
- A community of young female leaders in NYC who seek and value community action and involvement
- Young women who recognize their self-worth and potential
- Young women with increased self-esteem and decision-making abilities
- Young women who envision themselves as leaders now and in the future
- Positive role models for young women, which encourage their ambition, self-confidence and growth, allowing them to trust and showing them that they are supported.
- Young women with more positive attitudes toward school, improved academic performance, increased trust for adults and teachers, higher levels of self-confidence and a greater ability to express their feelings (Curtis & Hansen-Schwoebel, 1999; Karcher, 2005; Karcher, Davis, & Powell, 2002).
Why is Young Women Rock! unique?
Young Women Rock! operates in communities where little to no leadership programs exist for girls. By speaking to young women living in poverty during their formative years about issues of self-worth, health, goals and aspirations, YWR! is able to have the highest impact in interrupting the poverty cycle. Our program takes place in a community center, which allows any girl ages 14 -18 years old in the community to join the program.
The Young Women Rock! Mentorship program has boldly taken on the crisis of our female youth head on and understands the need for positive self-images and a strong sense of awareness. The sessions are designed to be creative and enriching, and we often bring in guest speakers and workshops to enhance the discussions.
holistic & sustainable.
As our program participants are young women in 9th to 12th grade, we are able to follow the girls through high school and onto college, at which point we encourage them to come back as mentors for the YWR! program in their neighborhood.
January – May: Mentor and mentee recruitment for the Fall
May: Mentor applications reviewed
June: Mandatory mentor training for selected mentors
July – August: Continued mentee recruitment for the Fall
September: Young Women Rock! year begins