We are looking for 2 site leaders for our girl’s mentorship program!
The Young Women Rock! (YWR!) Mentorship Program is a curriculum based, group, and one-on-one mentorship program dedicated to strengthening the lives and communities of young women in impoverished neighborhoods. The program is for girls ages 14 to 18 years old and includes weekly sessions and monthly cultural outings.
The program mission is to empower girls through mentorship, building their self-confidence and challenging them to discover and fulfill their potential. YWR! is a year-long program that spans the length of the academic year from September through May. Weekly sessions take place on Saturdays from 1:00 – 3:30 p.m. at our Brooklyn and Bronx sites.
YWR! sessions foster self-respect and love, leadership skills, creativity, critical thinking and collaboration while discussing curriculum topics, as follows:
• Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence Building
• Sexual Health and Decision-Making
• Broader Women’s Issues and Future Options
• Community Service and Global Citizenship
The philosophy behind the YWR! curriculum is to empower young women by having them think critically about themselves, their identity and their goals, while breaking down negative messages fed to them by society and the media. YWR! supports young women to develop their self-esteem and make informed decisions for themselves in the face of severe societal pressure; illustrating that they have a network of support and resources available to them.
The Women Worldwide Initiative, Inc. is seeking two site directors for its Young Women Rock! Mentorship Program. The site leader facilitates high-quality, high-impact relationships between up to 20 mentor-mentee pairs at either the Brownsville, Brooklyn site or the South Bronx site. Being a Site Leader at The Women Worldwide Initiative, Inc. is a rewarding experience that requires superb communicators and motivators who are eager to work in a results-oriented organization. The Site Leader attends weekly sessions of YWR! (Saturdays from 1:00 – 3:30 p.m.) and ensures they run smoothly. The Leader acts ais the first point of contact to mentors (adult volunteers) and mentees (high school students from underserved communities). This position will give insight into the rich diversity of NYC’s economic and cultural communities and importance of innovative educational programming for girls living in poverty.
The ideal candidate will responsible, dedicated and organized. She will have at least 1 year of professional experience working with adolescents, a passion for helping youth achieve their full potential, a strong customer service orientation, and the ability to connect with and motivate individuals of all ages and backgrounds.
Mentor/Mentee Pair Support
- Facilitate high impact relationships between 20 mentee/mentor pairs including:
- Monitoring quality and frequency of program participation
- Proactively assisting relationships and providing individual attention through regular communication, support, and advice
- Identifying pairs who need additional support and working with Program Manager to implement strategies to improve relationships
- Responding to inquiries from volunteers/mentors to ensure YWR! provides top-notch customer service throughout the duration of the match
- Work closely with YWR! Program Manager to ensure YWR! is being implemented safely and effectively, identifying and escalating any safety issues or mentee concerns
Curriculum Delivery and Evaluation
- Support volunteer/mentor pairs in leading high-quality and high-impact weekly sessions for mentees, using YWR!’s curriculum designed to empower girls
- Support Program Manager in organizing and facilitating monthly mentor and mentor/mentee outings (i.e. workshops, museum visit, picnic) to strengthen relationships
- Conduct pre and post YWR! survey of mentees, and mid and end evaluation of mentors with support from Program Manager.
Program Team Planning
- Participate in weekly meetings with the Program Manager to evaluate individual and program progress towards goals and to identify trends and gaps in program delivery
- Support all aspects of program implementation and improvement and YWR!’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1+ years of professional experience in college guidance counseling, classroom facilitation and/or youth development, preferably with adolescents in a school setting
- Experience in large group facilitation, preferably with youth
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide variety of individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to motivate students to engage with content of curriculum
- Ability to motivate adult volunteers; can inspire action from both individuals and groups
- Demonstrated interest/skill in working directly with people
- Able to ‘think on your feet’ and able to plan reactively and proactively
- Aligned in thought and action with The Women Worldwide Initiative’s values (www.womenworldwideinitiative.org)
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity within YWR!
- Position contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory fingerprinting and criminal background check, conducted by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services
- $500 stipend for the full academic year (September through May)
- Opportunities for professional development and growth
How to Apply
Email a resume and cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the Site Leader position to Uraidah@womenworldwideinitiative.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until August 1, 2015, so it is in candidates’ best interest to apply as soon as possible.