Notes to a Young Woman Campaign
In the spirit of passing notes in class, we are calling on men to pass a note to a young woman in high school.
“There ain’t no such thing as a good man. Men only care about themselves.” – 16 year old girl, NYC
The “Notes to a Young Woman” Campaign was created to show the 15 – 18 year old girls in our mentorship program that “good men,” those who recognize the worth of a woman and respect her for her inner beauty and intelligence, exist! Each week, we read the girls a couple notes written by good men, and at the end of the program, we bind them together in a journal for the girls to keep and look back on. Positive words by men can positively affect their view of themselves, their worth and potential, as well as their perceptions of and attitudes toward men.
We have dreams to publish these notes and create a video with the young women we mentor in a stream of mini monologues. If you would like to help us with this, please contact womenworldwide[dot]info[at]gmail.com.
Write her a note!
- You must be 21 or older, male.
- Your note must be respectful and appropriate. If it is not, it will not be passed on to a young woman.
- Begin each note with “Dear young woman:”
Don’t know what to write about? Here are a few topics we cover in our mentorship program:
- Personal Identity and Self-Confidence
- Healthy Relationships
- Body Image and Healthy Living
- Race and Stereotypes
- Future Options (high school, college and beyond)
- Violence against women
- Conflict resolution and mediation